From Virtual Japan
Naohiro Ukawa (宇川直宏) is a Japanese artist, designer, and professor. He was born in Kagawa, Japan, in 1968. He works in various media including writing, photograpy, audio, and video. He is currently a professor at Kyoto University of Art and Design as well as being president of his company mom/n/dad production. In one bio, the artist describes himself as a "Media rapist, designer, video director, writer, DJ, VJ, punk musician, etc."
His last two solo exhibitions in Japan have been held at the Tokyo contemporary gallery Nanzuka Underground. Naohiro Ukawa has also worked with several Japanese musicians including Towa Tei and the experimental rock band iLL.
- 2001 Buzz Club P.S1 - MOMA - New York, USA
- 2001 Jam Exhibition - Barbican Art Gallery - London, UK
- 2002 Jam Exhibition - Opera City Gallery - Tokyo, Japan
- 2002 Urbanlenz - Tn.Probe - Tokyo, Japan
- 2003 No Breath - Yasu Gallery - Tokyo, Japan
- 2004 Seed Wars - Transprint Gallery - New York, USA
- 2004 Uzulive - Chukyo University C-Square - Nagoya, Japan
- 2004 Keiichi Tanaami x Naohiro Ukawa "Disco University" - Kpo Kirin Plaza - Osaka, Japan
- 2005 Gundam Exhibition "For The Forthcoming Future" - Suntory Museum Tempozan - Osaka, Japan
- 2006 Exhibition Of Vanishing Objects By Electrical Appliance And Material Safety Law - Nanzuka Underground - Tokyo, Japan
- 2006 Rapt! 20 Contemporary Artists From Japan - Kings Ari - Melbourne, Australia
- 2007 A Series of Interpreted Catharsis #2 - Nanzuka Underground - Tokyo, Japan
Art Books & DVD Releases
- Gas Book7/ Ukawa Naohiro
- Scaning Of Modulations
- Supercar/High Booster – U.N.V.J.Works
- Boredoms Superseeee!!!!!!!!!
- 2003 MTV Music Award - Best Dance Music Clip Award
- 2003 Spaceshower TV Music Video Awards - Best Digital Clip Award