The history of Kagoshima Prefecture stretches back to the ancient Japanese provinces of Satsuma and Osumi. During the Meiji Restoration, the city of Kagoshima was a valuable naval base and home to Togo Heihachiro. The provinces were renamed and consolidated in 1871 when the Han System was abolished to form Kagoshima Prefecture.
Located on the southwestern most tip of Kyushu, Kagoshima Prefecture also includes a number of small islands that stretches more than 300 km from the main islands of Japan. The Amami Islands is included in this chain. Kagoshima Prefecture is currently surrounded by the Yellow Sea on the west, Kumamoto Prefecture to the north, Okinawa Prefecture to the south, and Miyazaki Prefecture to the east. Between the two peninsulas of Satsuma and Osumi is the Kagoshima Bay.
Located in the prefecture is a chain of multiple volcanoes, including that of Sakurajima, opposite of Kagoshima City. The volcano still trickles smoke and ash regularly with almost daily eruptions. The last major eruption occurred in 1914 when the mountain connected the island to the mainland.
Included in Kagoshima Prefecture are the following cities:
The following districts and towns also exist within Kagoshima Prefecture:
Kagoshima Prefecture has long been a primarily agricultural region with roots in the growing of sweet potatoes, tea, radishes, rice, and the raising of livestock. Fishing is another essentially vital aspect of Kagoshima’s economy as well as numerous energy concerns in the area, including offshore oil drilling.